Saturday, November 22nd, 2PM
Qwest Center Omaha
The Bluejays have a quick turnaround after last night’s game to prepare for Oral Roberts Saturday afternoon. Here is what you need to know about Oral Roberts:
- Oral Roberts has won the last 3 regular season Summit Conference titles and is expected to win The Summit again this season.
- Coach Altman notched his first regular season victory against Oral Roberts.
- The Golden Eagles started their season against in town rival Tulsa and lost 50-43 and lost the Mayor’s Cup Trophy.
- Oral Roberts is led by guard Robert Jarvis (#10) who is scoring almost 19 points a game including scoring 25 against John Brown on Monday night.
- Creighton leads the all-time series 5-4 including a 3-1 record in Omaha. Oral Roberts hasn’t been here since 1995
- Everyone knows that Oral Roberts University is named after the evangelist Oral Roberts, but did you know famous alumni include Kathie Lee Gifford? Really the most notable alumni from Oral Roberts is Ned Flanders
This game was scheduled as a result of last season’s Bracketbusters game at Oral Roberts. Booker Woodfox hit one the bigger shots in his career at Creighton hitting a 3 pointer with little time remaining to give Creighton the lead and slim 65-64 win. As a result of Bracketbusters, the game is being returned to Omaha this season.
This game will be a good test for both teams, but the Jays need to get out the gates early. In the two games to start the season against New Mexico and Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the Jays have taken a while to get warmed up and at some point that is going to catch up with them. The good news is that the scoring could come from many directions with P’Allen Stinnett and Booker Woodfox leading the way in the first game and Cavel Witter and Justin Carter in the second game.
The key to this game is rebounding which is a recurring theme with the Jays each season. The other key is to keep Jarvis contained to force others to step up for Oral Roberts. If Jarvis gets into foul trouble, I think the press will be pretty effective and cause turnovers for the Golden Eagles. Oral Roberts has six players playing more than 20 minutes and if you expand that to over 10 minutes a game, only 8 play more than that so their bench probably is not as deep as Creighton’s which could be a factor as well.
In the end, with a nice energized crowd hoping to see a little something different than Thursday evening’s free throw practice, the Jays will come out firing and pull away in the second half.
Prediction: Creighton 78, Oral Roberts 60