Tuesday, December 23, 9PM
Orleans Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Classic
I watched the game and wrapped too many Christmas presents last night to do too much of a recap and even much of a preview of today’s game, but the newspapers pretty much covered it.
The Jays had, I think, a great 40 minutes of basketball where team play was the key. Solid contributions for all, the press wore Fresno St. down, the refs were foul happy and the crowd at the Orleans Arena looked sparse.
Anyway, it is right back to the court to face the Depaul Blue Demons. Here is what you need to know about Depaul:
- This is the 3rd meeting in 4 years for these two teams as Depaul opened the season at the Qwest Center last season and Creighton played at Depaul 2 seasons before that.
- Depaul is on a 3-game winning streak, all from the Las Vegas Classic games
- Mac Koshwal averages a double-double per game and Dar Tucker is the leading scorer
- Depaul leads the overall series 15-6, but the teams split the home-home series from a couple years ago.
- If you like McDonalds then, you will be happy to know that former CEO Jack Greenberg is an alumni from Depaul.
Tonight is Creighton’s last chance to get a win against a Large Conference school, a school from the power that is the “Big East.” The last two meetings over the past 3 seasons have been memorable ones. 3 years ago, Nate Funk had his season ended in this game injuring his shoulder. Last season in the return game to Omaha, P’Allen Stinnett broke out with 23 points in the 2nd half in the opening game of the season to bring the Jays back from 17 down to win the game. I’m sure this meeting will be memorable with something significant.
Depaul won last night against St. Louis 65-61. If St. Louis is scoring 61 points on Depaul, there is no reason the Jays can’t score that and more. The 2nd half of last nights game is where Creighton forced turnovers, dominated on the boards and great ball movement. Depaul has a great athletic team.
Cavel Witter was just amazing last night and finally had that great game he has been looking for at the PG position this season dishing out 9 assists and getting 5 steals. Booker Woodfox has lead the Jays in scoring the last 5 games and looks so confident out there. Everyone is contributing. If they play like they did last night, I don’t think the Jays will get beat in this one.
The other contributing factor to tonight’s game is that Depaul basically has 5 guys that played over 31 minutes last night. They could be a tired bunch and Creighton’s depth will be too much.
Prediction: Jays 85, Depaul 67