The Jays got a nice win to kick off MVC play against Wichita St., but begin a tough stretch of 3 out of the next 4 games on the road. This could establish the Jays as the team to beat if they are successful in this swing. First off is the scary game against Indiana St. Here is what we need to know about Indiana St.
- The season started out horribly for the Sycamores with a couple of unexpected things. Their expected returning scorer Marico Stinson abruptly decided to leave and their point guard Harry Marshall was academically ineligible to start the season. However with Marshall now back, the Sycamores are 2-2.
- Since coming back, Marshall is leading the team in scoring at 16 pts. a game and playing 37 minutes a game.
- Jay Tunnel, Rashad Reed and Aaron Carter (of Backstreet Boys fame) also average double figures in scoring.
- Creighton has lost the last 2 games at Indiana St.
- The teams have played at least one game decided by 8 points or less in each of the last 15 years.
- Indiana State’s 3-point percentage is better so far this season (36.3%) than it has ever been and are making more 3 point shots per game.
- The Sycamores average 61 points a game while giving up 71.
Playing in Terre Haute on New Year’s Eve. Boy what a way to spend the holiday. I can see why there is no TV for this one. I wouldn’t want to spend my New Year’s Eve with this game. Creighton has a bad history with Terre Haute. 3 of the last 5 have been lost there. After ISU getting that double-overtime win on the road at Northern Iowa, this team will be fired up. Plus with the coaching friends Dana Altman and Kevin McKenna, you know they would both like to come out of there with a win.
This has the makings of a dangerous game, but one that could be very winnable. The difference in this team since the start of the season is the return of Harry Marshall. He seems to be leading this team like many expected at the beginning of the season. The key to this one will be to shut him down, maybe get him into foul trouble, and just take him out of the game. If the Jays can do that, then they will win easily.
Though Indiana St. is 3-9, this could be a good win for the Jays. Indiana St.’s strength of schedule is 123 while Creighton’s is 236. I guess we’ll have to see. Any road win in conference play is a good win. They just can’t get caught in the trap of looking forward to Illinois St.
So while I am listening to this game on the radio and getting primed for New Year’s Eve and celebrating my wedding anniversary, I think it will be a great day for Creighton basketball. I look forward to see how Justin Carter performs in his first conference road trip. Can Booker Woodfox keep up his amazing shooting percentage? Who will be the step-up player in this game? Josh Dotzler has been quite efficient this season and is holding the glue together for this team more than anyone give him credit for. This season is a season of redemption for the Jays and it starts with Indiana St. There are too many players on this team from last season to let them lose three in a row in Terre Haute. That hasn’t happened since 1992-94. And winning 13 of the last 16 games in the series, this looks like a solid road win.
Prediction: Jays 71, Indiana St. 60