Tuesday, January 6, 7PM
Qwest Center Omaha
Lack of Rebounds Plaguing Bluejays (OWH)
Everyone is trying to get that bad taste out of their mouth from the thrashing Saturday from Illinois St. The good part is that the Jays can turn around and play another game right away. Tuesday’s opponent…Northern Iowa:
- UNI is tied for third in the valley standings so far at 2-1 with wins over Southern Illinois and Wichita St.
- 5 players average more than 9 points a game led by tongue-twister Kwadzo Ahelegbe at 11+ points a game.
- They commit the league’s lowest number of turnovers per game.
- Over its last four games, UNI is shooting 50 percent (33-for-66) on three pointers,
including having two games of making 10 or more treys.
- Everyone’s favorite quarterback Kurt Warner is proud to call UNI his alma mater even though the education had him stocking shelves in a grocery store for years.
Northern Iowa has had a lot of difficulty over the past few years playing the Jays. They have lost 9 in a row to Creighton (since their first meeting at the Qwest Center) and have lost 20 of the last 23 meetings. Let’s just say that when Northern Iowa doesn’t like playing Creighton. For the Jays this is a good thing.
After everything that could go wrong went wrong against Illinois St. the other night, this Creighton team should come out with fire in their eyes and the Panthers will the lucky recipients. Things are pointing the Jays way in this one. The question is, who is going to show what they learned from the Redbird game?
I expect a little more inside game as that was a little better developed in the 2nd half of the ISU game and Kenny Lawson is showing signs of breaking out and being more consistent. But it will be tough against UNI’s Eglseder. The 7-footer will give Lawson and Walker a little trouble.
But of course the rebounding is the key in this game. Sounds like a broken record. But it is the truth and the Jays are the 2nd worst team in the league in rebound margin. Until this is turned around on a consistent basis, this team will not win on the road. The good thing about Tuesday’s game is that the Jays are playing at the Qwest Center at home and they won’t lose to UNI. The Panthers haven’t won in Omaha for 12 years and they won’t this year. Some home cookin’ in this one. See P’Allen Stinnett have a stellar night.
Prediction: Creighton 85, Northern Iowa 70