As Jays fans get pumped up for the game on Monday, here are few other things of interest or other stuff in the past week or so that I came across:
- Here is another reason to love Booker Woodfox. This time, not as a basketball player.
- With the Jays missing the NCAA Tourney, it is interesting to see teams like North Dakota St. being able to make the Big Dance already, but they don’t benefit financially yet.
- Since we are talking about money, getting to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 could mean more money for coaches. It was interesting to see the details about Bruce Weber’s contract.
- The economy is hitting college sports. A few weeks ago, Northern Iowa said it was shutting down its baseball program. The Southern Conference announced last month that they are going to reduce the number of schools participating in several Southern Conference tournaments; cut baseball series from three days to two; and will not stage preseason gatherings in football and men’s basketball next season. Who knows, maybe that will make it easier for Davidson to the Big Dance next year if Curry is still around if they are cutting the number of schools in their conference tournament.
- Creighton recruit Andrew Bock has been getting a lot of pub lately as his team is in it’s class basketball finals. He has helped his Eisenhower team go farther into the state playoffs than any other in the school’s history. Last Thursday, they made it to their regional final where Bock had 20 points. Then they won the regional final a couple days later where he had 21 points and led the first San Bernardino County boys’ team to advance to a state championship game. The Championship game will be this Saturday at Pauley Pavillion.
- Speaking of recruits, Ethan Wragge is trying to lead his high school team to the state championships as well scoring 25 points in their district semifinals. Their district final is tonight.
- Gregg Marshall still won’t let that MVC tourney game go away. The Shockers host Stanford Monday in the CBI tourney. It is on HDNet.
- Pat Forde from ESPN has a nice little tidbit of information at the bottom of his Forde Minutes about referees for the NCAA Tourney. An interesting process.
- Would you rather be up at halftime or down at halftime? Some interesting research on why it might be good to actually be behind at halftime. But not too far behind.
- San Diego St. has sold out to the Indians. No more Cox Arena, but maybe more slot machines.
- Apparently Arkansas-Little Rock is too good to play in the CBI or CIT tournament since they didn’t make the NCAA or NIT.
- Finally, it sounds like Osiris Eldridge is testing the NBA waters. I hope he decides to keep his name in. He has killed the Jays in his three seasons.